Most homeowners using the evaporative cooler tend to use the ice as a hack of using the unit, thinking it is a way of increasing the cooling rate of the room. If we reason it out, yeah, the ice indeed increases the cooling capacity that we can all choose to use the ice. Ice packs in the cooler help generate the cold air effect. Therefore adding ice to the evaporative cooler can cause minor marks in the cooler. Ice in the evaporative cooler can be good at the first process of the cooling system, but there will be no more improvement of the air in the room.
In other words, adding ice to the evaporative cooler can hamper the cooling process of the room since it requires time to melt in the cooler, which consumes much time, and the cooler poorly works. Remember, when you add ice to the evaporative cooler, the ice will cool the air the fan blows in the house, which increases the cooler’s effectiveness. Water must melt to evaporate, whereby when you use ice, you must give it time to melt, which increases the time the cooler system takes to work.
The article below shows the factors you must consider before putting ice in the evaporative cooler because adding ice to the cooler is an immediate solution. There will be other ways of making the air cooler or sometimes increase the efficiency of the cooler. There are the frequently asked questions and lastly, the conclusion, which contains the complete guide.
Can you put ice in an evaporator cooler?
Most people keep asking if they can put ice in an evaporative cooler, which can help get the cooler air. They assume the method is suitable since they experience the cold air that blows out shortly after adding ice to the system. The ice can only work after melting such that the cool vapor is blown out of the fan. The process increases the cooling effects of the fan but at the same time reduces the efficiency of the evaporative cooler.
An evaporative cooler works with a specific evaporation process, where the cooler evaporates water when it is cold. The evaporative cooler process of evaporation has few disadvantages that can prevent you from using it. An evaporative cooler works by removing heat from the air through evaporation that cannot work when you add ice to the cooler. Some factors determine if you need to add ice to the cooler or not.
The factors are temperature and humidity. When the temperatures are high, the evaporative cooler needs to work more to provide cool temperatures of the house to enhance the comfort of individuals instead of using fans. Therefore when the temperatures are high, you can add ice to the evaporative cooler to help reduce the hot air faster. However, when the temperatures are optimum, you can use the evaporative cooler without adding ice to it.
Humidity is a state of the environment that, when it is highly humid, can cause effects to the evaporative cooler that makes it have rusts that affect the cooler. Therefore, when the area has high humidity, consider not using the ice with the evaporative cooler but instead use the dehumidifier to reduce the humidity at the place. Adding more ice to the evaporative cooler cannot work well in providing a relaxed environment for a day unless you keep adding ice to the cooler.
Ice in the reservoir reduces the evaporation process of the cooler since the cooling effect results from blowing cool vapors from the melting ice. To check on the occurrence, you can use some good examples. For example, let us use a fan and ice, then blow the fan in the fan’s direction. The result is the same as using the evaporative cooler with ice in it.
Steps of making an evaporative cooler colder instead of using ice
Adding ice to the evaporative cooler is like making the cooler colder to cool the room. Most people think using ice is the best method for all the tracks. However, there are other ways you can use to make the cooler colder, like following the maintenance practices. Below are some of the steps you can follow when making the evaporative cooler harder instead of using ice.
- Check the cooler pads and how they operate. If the places are dry, the cooler will not cool the house’s temperatures, but instead, it will move warm air from the outside into the house. Sometimes the climates can be dry in the summer seasons so the pad can dry quickly when working if the water pump is off.
- Ensure the water pump is always running if you are using the cooler during the whole day. Ensure the pad is in a good state because the flaws can allow air to move around the places. Therefore, check the state of the residence for any stains, molds, or dirt that reduces the cooling system’s efficiency.
- Open the window to increase the rates of working with the cooler. Windows allow a good flow of hot air out of the house, allowing fresh air to get inside. Ensure the water pump is working correctly to increase the coldness.
- Choose to use a dehumidifier that reduces the house’s humidity and increases the evaporative cooler’s working rate. High humidity distracts the active process of the cooler and can cause some other effects to the cooler.
- Try to get the house plants that drain the moisture and increase the room’s coldness together with the evaporative cooler that works to cool the room. The house plant can suck the extra water in the air, and you can place them in the same room with a swamp cooler to help them work more effectively. Since both the items are working to cool the house, you can quickly cool the room without struggling to use the evaporative cooler when you use both of them in the same place.
- Maintaining the cooler is part of your activities to keep the cooler good for use for a more extended period. An evaporative cooler is like any other device that works best when you take care of it by following the practices to maintain it. Therefore, when you primarily use the cooler during the summer season, ensure you clean the device after one week. After using it for the season, you can clean it and store it in a good place. The maintenance practices include: wiping the fans and the intake grills, and any other parts in the cooler.
You might be interested to read also our another article about :
Frequently asked questions:
- Can an evaporative cooler start blowing warm air in the house?
When the water-pad dries out, your swamp cooler will blow warm air. IT can happen if you leave the fan running for several hours or longer without turning on the pump. If you still have a problem after the pump is turned on, your cooling unit requires additional maintenance. You may need to replace the water pump in the swamp cooler. The only other possible explanation is a worn or frayed pad. It would help if you returned to your place once a year at the beginning of the cooling season.
- Is it possible to use the evaporative cooler for 24 hours without giving it time to rest?
You can leave a swamp cooler overnight. The outside air cools off at night, and your swamp cooler moves this air through the water-soaked pad into your home. The pad might dry out if you don’t have the pump on during the night. It is not a big problem because the cooler will still circulate cooler air into your home throughout the night. When you wake up in the morning, you will want to turn on the pump. Otherwise, you can leave the pump on throughout the night to keep the pad soaked.
- What are the maintenance practices to take on an evaporative cooler?
When you primarily use the cooler during the summer season, ensure you clean the device after one week. After using it for the season, you can clean it and store it in a good place. The maintenance practices include: wiping the fans and the intake grills, and any other parts in the cooler. A cooler is like any other device that works best when you take care of it by following the practices to maintain it.
Putting ice in the evaporative cooler is an excellent practice to help increase cool air in the house. However, when using the ice, the cooler is not working with the evaporation process to achieve its goal since the cool air results from the fan blowing. Adding ice to the cooler can reduce the rate of functioning of the cooler since ice needs much time to melt so that it works.
Therefore, the factors that determine whether you can add ice are the humidity and the temperature. Consider checking on the factors to work with the cooler. If you need to make the cooler colder, follow the correct steps.